I would like to extend an invitation to all the HURT members to attend my book launch on 24October 2015, from 6-9pm at the Honolulu Club on Ward Ave. My book is entitled "Dream it. See it. Be it. ~ Discovering your potential at the end of your comfort zone.", it is a motivational book encouraging the reader to believe in themselves, go for their dreams and do whatever it takes. Many of the stories include my running adventures with HURT and how these experiences influenced my life forever. Part 2 of the book documents my solo journey along the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada last year. I'll be giving a slideshow, speech, tango demo, interview and doing a book signing. Books will be available for sale at $25 per copy and a bar and Pupu menu will be available. Please join me for a fun filled evening. Aloha Heather "Two Feathers". Other references: www.heatherhowells.com
"aloha John & PJ -
I’m writing to let you know that we have selected the 2016 HURT 100 as a qualifying race for the 2017 Western States 100. Any runner who completes the race within 36 hours will be qualified to apply for the lottery, which will be held in December 2016.
As race organizer, you don’t need to do anything other than make sure that race results are posted on your website. We’ll take it from there.
I have attached a pdf and jpg of a visual notice that you can post on your website.
Congratulations on your qualifying status and, from the Western States family, sincere thanks for all the great work you do in organizing the race.
A hui kaua,
for the Western States 100 Board of Trustees"
Aloha, John & PJ
Here is a really nice article featuring Stan Jensen.
There's been a consensus that it's best to cancel the HURT group run tomorrow up at Peacocks because of the heavy rains. Hope to see you all next weekend, September 19.
CANCELLED DUE TO HEAVY RAINS
Join me and Judy at Dillingham Air Station (start/finish of the Peacock 50k & 100k) at 6AM this Saturday! Remember to bring plenty of water (AT LEAST 70 oz.) and snacks. This heat is no joke. Options for 8 miles, 18 miles or more if you are eager! See you there!
The family will have a memorial for akabill from 12 to 4pm Sunday, October 18, at the Nutridge Estate on Tantalus. They plan on a luncheon/potluck and invite anyone who wants to remember aka/Brian to come and share food and memories.
Service followed by potluck. Steve (aka's brother) will BBQ the meat.
Anyone interested in helping contact aka/Brian's brother Steven at firstname.lastname@example.org
The address is 2760 Roundtop Drive Honolulu, HI 96822.
Join me and Benita at Dillingham Air Station (start/finish of the Peacock 50k & 100k) at 6AM this Saturday! Remember to bring plenty of water and snacks. This heat is no joke. Options for 9 miles, 17 miles or more if you are eager! See you there!
The 2015 Tantalus Triple Trek was held today under beautiful Hawaiian conditions. In other words, lots of heat and humidity with just the right amount of mud thrown in. From what I hear, the RD's, Jeff, Julie, and Fish through some curves to runners with some route direction changes from previous Trek races. I will let others who raced make those comments. I know HURT Guru's John and PJ stated next year is the 25th anniversary of the Trek race, that the course will be back to tradition.
Congratulations to all the runners. Thanks to all the volunteers and RD's! I am sure more details will be posted.
Finally, I had a couple of errands to do after the race and I was saddened to learn of the passing of Akabill. aka was always a smiling face and I loved seeing him out on the trails here in Hawaii. Those that knew him are well aware of his infectious smile and "Life is Good" attitude. Happy Trails Aka!
FINAL IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR ALL RACERS: 24th Annual H.U.R.T. Trail Series Tantalus Triple Trek Trail Race
Saturday August 29, 2014 @ 5:30a.m.
Aloha Runners!!! This is the first ultra distance race of this year’s H.U.R.T. trail series! TTT is a 30-mile course comprised of three 10-mile loops, with a return to the Nature Center start/finish aid station each loop. Here is the course map:
Gates will open for the start area by 4:30am; please arrive no later than the 5:15am check-in cut-off time to sign-in and get your race number.
IMPORTANT: A friendly reminder that the race is 100% sold out and there will be NO same day sign-ups. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
PARKING: Suggested parking is along the road on Makiki Heights Drive (starting by the pumping station at the intersection of Makiki Street); please ensure that you are parked well off the road to allow for traffic to use the road as normal. Remember that this can be a high theft /break-in area. NO PARKING IN THE TRAILHEAD PARKING LOT as these spaces are strictly reserved for hikers! Parking is allowed along both sides of the driveway below the parking lot; however all wheels of the vehicle must be off the road.There will be Parking Czars posted to direct you, please comply with their instructions.
We strongly encourage all runners to bring their preferred fuel/hydration requirements for the race! We will have the usual race munchies at the Nature Center start/finish aid station, & water/electrolyte drink at both aid stations. Bathrooms are available only at the Nature Center start/finish aid station. As these serve only one occupant, please try to “take care of business” prior to arriving at the race start.
As always, BE PREPARED FOR ANY WEATHER CONDITIONS as the weather may be very wet, hot, &/or humid.
- It will be dark on the trail for the first hour or so of the race - make sure you bring your preferred trail lighting.
- Course markings will be ORANGE going outbound, up to the top/second pig gate and WHITE on the return to Nature Center. As always, BLUE is BAD! If you see blue, don't go in that direction. Bad sections & hazards will be clearly marked with blue ribbons. We'll remind you again on race morning during our quick briefing. Remember that course marshals instructions always override any course markings, so please always follow their instructions.
- Course marshals will be at all major junctions for the first loop or two. Please be sure to take note of all trail markings prior to loop 3 as the course will be more than adequately marked.
- Race Course Marshals will be out on the course during the race for your safety and to direct you along the course. You must comply with ALL of their instructions. If you do not comply with their instructions, you will be disqualified from the race, so please kokua. Complaining, whining, or cursing will not be tolerated. Remember our race is FUN, so bring your smile with you race day!
- Aid stations will be at the Nature Center start/finish & at the Tantalus Road crossing @ about the 3-mile point. The Tantalus aid station will only stay open until 12:30 pm (7 hours into the race), so plan accordingly. Please carry enough fluids, taking into consider the EXTRA hot/humid weather we have been having.
- SMALL drop bags will be allowed at the Nature Center start/finish aid station, which you will have access to in between each of your loops. We cannot guarantee that the drop bags will stay dry, so please take this into consideration when packing it. Be sure to have some sort of identification on your drop bag as well as remember where you put it as the race volunteers will not be responsible for tracking, watching, or retrieving drop bags. It is the runner’s responsibility to retrieve their drop bag when coming through the aid station and at the end of the race. Volunteers will assist in refilling hydration packs/bottles and offering food, water, and electrolyte drink.
- Runners must leave the Nature Center for their 3rd loop by the 10:45am cut-off time. Overall cut-off time for the race will be 1:30pm. If you decide to drop, please inform a race director (Jeff or Fish), so we won’t spend our evening out looking for you in the woods after the race.
- No pacers will be allowed for this race.
* Finisher Awards (designed by our very own Wily Woo!) will be given to the top 3 male & female finishers!
* Finisher swag at the finish line for all race completers!
BIG MAHALOS to all our volunteers, without whom this race would not be possible (so remember to thank them when you see them or pass them out on the course!)!! Big thanks also to Augusto De Castro Photography & Kalani Pascual for providing race photography!
See you all very soon!
Jeff F, Fish, & Julie T
SATURDAY, AUGUST 22, 6:30am
TRIPLE TREK COURSE PREVIEW/TRAINING
One more week until the big weekend! Thank you to all of you who came out for our course preview training run yesterday!! Was a super fun morning in the mud!
This Saturday the 22nd, JulieT will be leading the second preview/training run to go one full loop of the course again. Please meet at the picnic and restroom area at the Maunalaha trail head (by the Hawaii Nature Center) at 6:30am.
Bring sufficient water as well as any nutrition (gels, energy bars, magic potions) you require, and most of all come to HAVE FUN! If you have not yet been on the Tantalus trails please make it a point to remain with Julie and the group. See last week’s training run post for a map of the course. For the most part the race itself will consist of three loops of the course.
Everyone is welcome to join us for this training run – you don’t have to be registered for the Triple Trek race, and all levels of trail runners are encouraged to come!
Have a great remainder of week and hope to see you on the trails!
Julie, Fish, and Jeff (da 3T RDs)
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15, 2015 6:30AM
TRIPLE TREK COURSE PREVIEW/TRAINING
Many congratulations to all that ran last weekend’s Maunawili Out&Back 22-miler (aka the Run with the Pigs). As usual Marian and Neal Yasuda have outdone themselves in putting on another great event that’s kept us coming back year after year! It’s now time to keep those legs going for the final race of the H.U.R.T. trail series, the Tantalus Triple Trek (3T)!
This Saturday, JulieT will be leading the first preview/training run to go one full loop of the course. Remember there are will be only two weeks until race weekend. Please meet at the picnic and restroom area at the Maunalaha trail head (by the Hawaii Nature Center) at 6:30a.m. Bring a minimum of 32 oz of water as well as any nutrition (gels, energy bars, magic potions) you require, and most of all have fun. If you have not yet been on the Tantalus trails please make it a point to remain with Julie and the group, or be with someone who knows the course. Below is a map of the course. For those unfamiliar with the trails, please feel free to print a copy for reference along the training run. For the most part the race itself will consist of three loops of the course.
Everyone is welcome to join us for this training run – you don’t have to be registered for the Triple Trek race, and all levels of trail runners are encouraged to come! You don't have to run the full distance (or you can go longer), come and do as little or as much as you like.
Hope to see you on the trails!
Julie, Fish, and Jeff (da 3T RDs)